Tuesday, February 21, 2012

{Parties} Balloon Breakfast


My little fella's second birthday is tomorrow, and we celebrated this weekend with a birthday breakfast. It was just family, and we had a great time celebrating a special little boy.

I decided on a simple balloon theme for the party, so I created a backdrop for the buffet table by hanging balloons with ribbon upside down instead of having to deal with helium. I also found a really inexpensive navy and white herringbone fabric from Joanne's that I used throughout the party. I made a bunting for the buffet and covered my mirror, which you can actually still see through the fabric -- ha!

I used my buffet for the breakfast food, which included a broccoli, cheese & tomato strata, bread pudding, sausage links, blueberry muffins and fresh fruit salad. No time for pics of food -- I'm the worst!


I pulled out this shutter at Christmas time to display cards, and now I can't seem to put it away. It continues to come in handy as you can see. I used it to display Dean's invitation, a picture from his session with Karen Carpenter Photography, and a few other things.


The desserts were displayed on my old bookcase that belonged to my grandmother. I made a little Happy Birthday banner to hang on the top of the bookcase and a chalkboard Sweets Menu.


The cake...


...was a red ombre cake from Country Sweets in Woodbury. They did such a great job as they said it was the first ombre cake they ever made!


Vanilla pound cake {my fav} and vanilla buttercream icing....it was good!


I also attempted to make cake pops {and attached twine to make them look like balloons}. Ughh....never again....I'm the worst cake pop maker ever! The pops were easy {I used a cake pop maker my mom bought me for Christmas}, but the melted chocolate was a nightmare, and I just didn't have the time to mess around with them. Oh well.


I ordered these adorable wooden birthday spoons from Shop Sweet Lulu. I had to...they were in Dean's birthday colors ;-}


My friend Jamie made these cute balloon cookies, which I used as favors. There were light blue and red cookies, and they were delicious! I also ordered the red & white striped bags from Shop Sweet Lulu.


My sweet birthday boy opened one of his presents the morning of his party. I'm saving the other two for his actual birthday.


Speaking of presents, I have been loving all the ideas I'm getting on Pinterest for cute gift wrapping. I added his first initial "d" to his packages {because as a boy at two years of age, he'll really appreciate and care about silly details ;-}

**I used my Up Up & Away board on Pinterest for balloon inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment