Friday, November 26, 2010

{Entertaining} Thanksgiving at my House


Dessert Buffet: I used my good ole' sideboard in my dining room to display my desserts. I'm so glad I purchased this piece of furniture. It serves as a storage unit for dishes, placemats, napkin rings, etc. and also provides me a spot to display dessert or whatever I want when I'm entertaining. And it's perfect because it's right next to my dining room table, so my guests can not only see the dessert display, but the sweets are within arms reach of the table!

I also love using white dishes and platters for my dessert displays. The white is a nice contrast with my black furniture, and it allows me to add color accents through ribbons, food tags, menus, decorations, etc. In addition, using tiered plates and serving pieces allows me to add varying heights, creating some dimension to the display.

My mom's birthday was on Thanksgiving this year, so I ordered a small birthday cake and created a topper to coordinate with the menu and colors I used. Also, I added a pretty fall tree with hanging acorns, a bundle of wheat tied with a ribbon, and some little tealights in glass cubes to decorate the space.


I love this new addition to my dessert display that I found at TJ Maxx for peanuts! I pinned my dessert menu to the open area, but you could also use this for pictures or whatever else you wanted to display. It could also be painted to add a pop of color to the dessert table.


The setting of our Thanksgiving meal was my dining room. I used a maize colored table runner with a slight sheen that I found in the fabric section at IKEA.


My centerpiece was incredibly easy to make! I was inspired by a picture I saw in the PB catalog that showed apothocary jars filled with different fall items. So, I filled my own apothocary jars with leaves from my yard and pinecones & acorns from Target. Then I added some multicolored corn from my local farmer's market, a sparkly pear, and a candle on a chunky candle holder. I arranged them all on a black tray and voila! It was inexpensive, easy, and festive.


The dinner menu hung from my grandmother's old bookcase that I inherited. I spraypainted a wooden dowl black and threaded it through a round paper thingy {haha...can't think of the name!} that came inside a poster I ordered for my classroom. Then I used brown bag paper, which I also snagged from my classroom supplies, and glued it on the round paper thingy. Next, I tied some ribbon to the dowl so it could be hung. Lastly, I used a black Sharpie marker to write out my menu.


The birthday girl {aka my mommy} with my son.


So THANKFUL for this baby, who is suddenly on the go 24/7! He's army crawling all over the place!

I HOPE YOU ALL ENJOYED YOUR THANKSGIVING WITH YOUR LOVED ONES!

***DON'T FORGET TO ENTER MY LATEST GIVEAWAY IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN WINNING A CUTE HOLIDAY PARTY PACK, WHICH INCLUDES 8 INVITATIONS, 10 TENTED FOOD CARDS, & 12 FOOD PICKS! DEADLINE IS TOMORROW!***

2 comments:

  1. everything looks great kate! i love the bundle of wheat and your new dessert menu holder. i love everything actually but those two things stuck out to me. happy birthday to your mom - she shares a birthday with my little niece emily :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ame! Happy Birthday to your niece too :-}

    ReplyDelete